Saturday, June 9, 2007

Puppies and coincidences ...

It's Saturday morning, and as usual, I start the day off by making up some of our world-famous $5 grab bags. If you're not familiar with them, I put in 10-12 cards of each of four different issues, then add star, rookie or vintage cards in between. Each bag also contains a 5x7 card and either a jersey, autographed or numbered card. They're a great buy.

So the phone rings and it's Mitch and his mother asking about a Mark Visheau card. I do a search on hockeydb.com and find that he has only one NHL issue in the 1998-99 Pacific Omega, and because that set isn't very popular, it would difficult to find a single of him.

I tell Mitch's mom they'd probably be best served to do an eBay search for Visheau. While we're talking, I do an eBay search for Visheau and turn up a copy of his RC, which he shares with Josh Green. I glance at the photo -- and it's the set of cards I had just been sorting into grab bags!

I ask her to hold on a moment, go to the sorting tables and sift through a few bags I had already partially put together -- and there it is, the 1998-99 Pacific Omega #116 Mark Visheau RC!

The odds of me having this card readily available are pretty slim normally, but to have had it in my hands just seconds before the customer called? Suffice it to say, I'll be buying a Lotto 6/49 ticket this afternoon.

It turns out Visheau is going to be purchasing a dog from Mitch and wanted a card for him to sign. The family has fifteen purebred Golden Retriever puppies right now, so if you're interested, you can reach them at (705)322-4438.

No comments: